T O P
AutoModerator

**Mirrors / Alternative Angles** *I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please [contact the moderators of this subreddit](/message/compose/?to=/r/soccer) if you have any questions or concerns.*


John3192

English please ?


jackybeau

Tl;Dr: "we got your back bro. No homophobe"


Plenty_Sound_8425

Take the phobe out and It'd be crazy.


havertzkai7

Or take the 'No' out.


battlefielder696

The Collectif Ultras Paris gives its unwavering support support to Idrissa Gueye who has been subjected to a few days of media accusations disproportionate media accusations! Each person is still free to support the causes to support the causes of his choice in the way that suits him. We remind his detractors that Idrissa Gueye has always had an exemplary behavior and that he has always fought with all forms of discrimination. It is intolerable for us that his honor be thrown to the dogs and that he becomes the scapegoat for the homophobic excesses of the society. Before him, other professional players for similar facts had not undergone the same media and political treatment. We will always fight against all forms of forms of discrimination, whatever they may be, but we will never be, but we will never condone a man being that a man be thrown in the air and judged by the media by the media court without having been heard. Translated by deepL


mohankohan

You will manually type the entire thing into google translate and you will enjoy it


zrkillerbush

On my google pixel, if you swipe up, you can press and hold text on a image and it will highlight and copy it for you! Probably the same for all the latest Android phones


flacciduck

I think all android phones have Google lens. So most phones should be able to. Just screenshot it and use lens


hokagesamatobirama

You can do it on an iPhone as well. Long press the image to select text and it provides an option to translate.


handi503

Hey thanks, I didn't know this!


-Ceniza

Every iPhone from the 6s onward and every phone that's running Android 9/10/11/12 can do this


bvb_Shaggy

God I love dominant Redditors


Ric00la

just posted a google translate, a bit late MB


Ric00la

Google translate: The ultra paris collective brings its unfailing support to Idrissa Gueye who has been subjected to disproportionate media accusations for a few days! Each person is still free to support the causes of their choice in the way that suits them. We remind his detractors that Idrissa Gueye has always had exemplary behavior and that he has always vigorously fought all forms of discrimination. It is intolerable for us that his honor is thus thrown to the dogs and that he becomes the scapegoat for the homophobic excesses of society. Before him other professional players for similar facts had not suffered the same media and political treatment. We will always fight against all forms of discrimination, whatever they may be, but we will never condone that a man is attacked and judged by the media court without having been heard.


JakeNutters

> and that he has always vigorously fought all forms of discrimination Until that discrimination didn't effect him


SaltineFiend

Yeah yeah, put on the rainbow and don't be a cunt imo.


RedRider2200

Translation "The Paris Ultras Collective is offering its unconditional support to Gueye who has been going through for some days now over the top attaques from the media! Each person is free to support the causes of their choices in the way they see fit. We are reminding to his critics that Idrissa has always had an exemplary behavior and he had always fought with all of his might every form of discrimination. It is inadmissible for us that his honor be thrown at dogs and he becomes the scapegoat of the homophobic excesses of society. Before him other professional footballers for similar situations have not gone through the same political and media scrutiny. We will always fight against every form of discrimination whatever they might be but never will we endorse that a man be toss away and be judged by the media Court before he is heard." Sorry in advance if there are any mistakes as French is not my first language


UndeadPrs

Not "a group" actually, the one and only Ultras association merging all the subgroups together, shameful


ElKaddouriCSC

What are PSG Nautecia like? They have a friendship with one of our supporters groups, Bhoys, who are absolute scumbags.


CoolstorySteve

“Before him other processional players did something similar but did not receive the same type of media and political backlash” these people are dumb dumb huh


GarmentGourmet

Why can‘t I guillotine someone ? Back then they didn‘t get any backlash. Show me one single YouTube video with original video footage where people protest against guillotines!!!


AshkenaziTwink

thats literally what people do on here lmao, Newcastle fans kept saying “where was the backlash when Chelsea and City got bought” as if they didn’t get a ton


V-TriggerMachine

That's a lot of french words


PAT_The_Whale

Yes, that's what French people usually use...


TigerBasket

Sacre Blue


Ric00la

Just posted a google translate :)


RickThiCisbih

If he didn't want to be called homophobic, then maybe he shouldn't be so explicitly against support towards homosexual people.


GeologistFlimsy6133

Or maybe respect the man and his religion he didn’t say anything he just removed himself from the situation


Calergero

Jesus Christ the man doesn't want to wear a shirt now so he's homophobic? This is bullshit verging on facism. People have free will to do what they want. It's insane how much moral masturbation people are doing over this story over the actual footballer that came out the other day. People just want to be seen as caring rather than actually caring which is exactly why I don't have a problem with him not wearing the shirt.


TigerBasket

It's not fascism to call someone homophobic when they don't make the very basic move of supporting gay people.


skyreal

The world isn't black or white and there's a middle ground between supporting something and being against something. You or me not putting a rainbow flag on our window during our local gay parade doesn't make us homophobic for example. All in all, I much prefer a racist/homophobic person just minding his own business and not showing support, than one who actively harasses or assaults the people he doesn't like. Sure he's a dick for not showing support. But he could be a bigger dick and actually harm someone, which he didn't.


Calergero

People shouldn't be labelling or assuming to know peoples beliefs for their clothing choices. Everyone should have a right to wear what they want but they shouldn't be forced to wear anything. That's what the Taliban do to women on Afghanistan.


TigerBasket

Are you comparing wearing a shirt supporting lgbt rights with the fucking Taliban? For fucks sake


Calergero

Yes, are you having trouble with comprehension?


vinctthemince

Not at all. It is just astonishing how you compare the critique of an homophobic football player to a fundamentalist regime, that literally kills women for not wearing the the right clothes and to be outside without a man who owns her. And who kills homosexuals for exact the same reasons, that Gueye cites why he can't wear that shirt.


Calergero

I haven't seen Gueye say anything maybe I'm misinformed.


vinctthemince

He made absolutely clear, that he can't support LGBQ people because of his stupid believes.


Calergero

Do you have a link


TigerBasket

Bruh


Calergero

Can you formulate opinions or do you just make noises and ask blatantly obvious questions?


heraho

«Not wearing a shirt»? He actively boycotted a game and didn’t show up for work, I think it’s pretty clear what he’s trying to communicate


Calergero

Boycott is a funny word because the authorities wouldn't allow him to play because he wouldn't be wearing the uniform. The rules were enforced on him as they set the rules of the uniform to which he didn't comply. Depends how you see it. Maybe your assumption is correct, still doesn't mean he should be forced to wear the shirt.


heraho

You’re literally describing a boycott. Of course he wouldn’t be allowed to play football without a jersey lol


Calergero

Fair play. Still believe he has the right to say no.


vinctthemince

And everyone else has the right to call him out on his decision.


Calergero

Absolutely.


silvermember

No said he doesn’t have the riight to say no.he already did. We are now clowning him for his decision


Calergero

Fair enough. "We" respect his decision and you don't. Guess it's agree to disagree.


heraho

I respect your opinion on that!


humblebots

>Jesus Christ the man doesn't want to wear a shirt now so he's homophobic? This is bullshit verging on facism. People have free will to do what they want. So you refuse to acknowledge the shirts represents something? He literally didn't want to wear the shirt because it represents support for homosexuals. I just can't fathom how people like you are still trying to claim he isn't he is homophobic? Otherwise he would have worn the fucking shirt, simple as that. You'd be crying facism if a football player wore a shirt with a swastika on it.... Even though it's JuSt a ShIrT


Calergero

>You'd be crying facism if a football player wore a shirt with a swastika on it.... Even though it's JuSt a ShIrT I mean that's a completely different scenario because that is actively and overtly supporting something. Removing yourself from a campaign is not actively supporting anything and everyone should be able to allowed to have a neutral stance otherwise we devolve into black and white with no nuance. >So you refuse to acknowledge the shirts represents something? No but because the shirt represents something why should he be forced to wear it? He can do what he wants with his own body. You sound like the Taliban forcing women to cover themselves because they don't feel they follow their same beliefs strongly enough.


humblebots

>Removing yourself from a campaign is not actively supporting anything and everyone should be able to allowed to have a neutral stance otherwise we devolve into black and white with no nuance. What do you find so hard to understand? Him not playing a game, and making a **conscious effort to not wear the shirt is exactly what making a stance is**. Do you still genuinely think he is not homophobic after refusing to wear the shirt? >>So you refuse to acknowledge the shirts represents something? > >No but because the shirt represents something why should he be forced to wear it? He can do what he wants with his own body. Ok, so you do have the brain capacity to understand not wearing the shirt can represent something. Contrary to your first post. >You sound like the Taliban forcing women to cover themselves because they don't feel they follow their same beliefs strongly enough. Oh the fucking irony of you trying to tell me I sound like a [homophobic] islamic person. Maybe nobody should partake in and believe in such backwards, stone-aged practices/religions, which preach bigotry, rampant sexism and homophobia. Then maybe Gueye wouldn't be a bigot towards gay people!


Calergero

>What do you find so hard to understand? Him not playing a game, and making a conscious effort to not wear the shirt is exactly what making a stance is. I find it hard to understand why he should be forced to wear the shirt. What do you find hard to understand about that? Does it hurt you that he actually made a conscious effort rather than let people think for him or that he is expressing his free will. >Do you still genuinely think he is not homophobic after refusing to wear the shirt? Honestly I don't care if hes homophobic or not. Fuck him. I do care about human rights and being forced to wear clothing is akin to choosing from 30 haircuts in N Korea. >Ok, so you do have the brain capacity to understand not wearing the shirt can represent something. Contrary to your first post. The shirt represents something to people who want it to represent something. See Mr smarty pants, that's called nuance. Seen as you care so much what was the name of the footballer who came out the other day? >Oh the fucking irony of you trying to tell me I sound like a [homophobic] islamic person. Funny coincidence...maybe you're over compensating >Then maybe Gueye wouldn't be a bigot towards gay people! Gueye joins ISIS


humblebots

>Honestly I don't care if hes homophobic or not. Fuck him. I do care about human rights and being forced to wear clothing is akin to choosing from 30 haircuts in N Korea. He's not being forced you idiot, which is exactly why he didn't wear it. You're a a fucking hypocrite - if you cared about human rights you wouldn't try defend this guy for his blatant bigotry towards homosexuals. And him being a piece of shit has consequences? Wow funny that. >The shirt represents something to people who want it to represent something. See Mr smarty pants, that's called nuance. Nice loop . And evidently Gueye sees it as representing support for gay people, which is why he doesn't want to wear it. Otherwise he would wear the shirt. Or are you *still* defuting that? Or are you going to tell me maybe that out of all the football shirts he's ever worn he just doesn't like the aesthetic of this one? >Funny coincidence...maybe you're over compensating For what?


Schnye

Freedom to do what you want yes. What fellers seem to forget is that actions have consequences.


Calergero

No one said there wouldn't be consequences. The consequence of not wearing the shirt was that he was not allowed to play in the game. Now the further consequences are that people are labelling him homophobic. They are probably right but could be wrong. Either way people should mind their own business instead of policing people that will have literally no effect on them.


Flexspot

This mentality is incredibly toxic and pervasive in society. The absence of support doesn't mean hating or being against. Furthermore, it'd be support on an empty gesture. I bet many of those that wore the kit are actual homophobes but don't get public outrage because they comply with the hipocrisy of the week. All this artificial drama is creating more radicals than not paying attention to Gueye would. Antagonizing and with-or-against discourse isn't the way to unite people.


JakeNutters

> I bet many of those that wore the kit are actual homophobes And just like with Racists and sexists if they keep their opinion to themselves that's still a preferable outcome.


Calergero

Not true. The problem with racists and sexists was that there was no repercussions when they offended or the repercussions were punitive. Of course not offending people is preferable but it shouldn't be mandatory and therefore there should be consequences.


Flexspot

Well Gueye is keeping his opinion to himself and it seems like everyone wants him to say he hates gay people. Just let him be quiet.


dr_analyst

He isn't keeping his opinion to himself. But refusing to wear the t-shirt, he is being quite explicit about his opinion.


Flexspot

This is an inference that would never, ever, ever stand in a court trial. It only flies in mob trials, such as the one we're witnessing. He's never said or done anything hateful in public, yet you all want to infer he's hateful by way of his silence.


dr_analyst

> This is an inference that would never, ever, ever stand in a court trial. My opinion about people generally do not follow a court sequence. > It only flies in mob trials, such as the one we're witnessing. What kind of backlash has Gueye suffered actually so far? A few comments online? I see more support for him than any relevant figures criticizing him. > He's never said or done anything hateful in public, yet you all want to infer he's hateful by way of his silence. He refused to wear a t-shirt with rainbow numbers in reference to the day against homophobia. What reasons would he have if not homophobic ones? If a player would refused to participate in a anti racism campaign, I doubt you would be saying his reasons aren't racist. Besides, when it comes to oppression and discrimination, silence is siding with the oppressor.


Flexspot

There's a million reasons why an athlete in the public light wouldn't want to participate in political statements or campaigns. The main one being: they're not comfortable doing it. And the fact that he appears every Saturday on TV running and kicking a ball doesn't remove his right to keep his political and personal beliefs private.


dr_analyst

It's interesting that we resume people's rights and fights against discrimination as mere political statements.


fungibletokens

I cannot think of many things more political than the matter of people's rights, and the cause of anti-discrimination.


Flexspot

Millionaires wearing a t-shirt with rainbow numbers aren't fighting for anyone dude. Stop being delusional. It was an empty gesture and Gueye rejected doing it for whatever reasons and that's it. Stop giving relevance to such unimportant shit. It's a random fucking footballer, it's not a member of parliament or a political leader or nothing. He's playing for a team that's built on blood money (from a certified homophobic country) yet you all complain he didn't wear a rainbow number in France lol. It's absurd.


fungibletokens

What you're describing then, is functionally a purity test. "Wear the shirt - or you hate LGBT people." How's that mechanically different to being told: "wear the poppy - or you hate Britain"? Or: "wear the Star of David - or you hate Jews"? There is no equilibrium of people with unpleasant views keeping those opinions private if we seek to expose those opinions through purity tests. It'd be like if the US military demanded that homosexuals not only remain closeted, but engage in outward displays of heterosexuality during the '*Don't ask, don't tell*' era. It kind of defeats the whole point of the principle.


dr_analyst

> Wear the shirt - or you hate LGBT people." So, there is a campaign to mark the fight against homophobia which Gueye refuses to join. No other player did. Which non homophobic reasons could he possibly have? You don't really have to hate people to not care about them or not wanting them to have equal rights or not be discriminated. But that's still homophobia.


fungibletokens

>So, there is a campaign to mark the fight against homophobia which Gueye refuses to join. No other player did. Which non homophobic reasons could he possibly have? I'm not his brother or anything. But maybe he believes Allah will fuck him up if he wears the shirt? >You don't really have to hate people to **not care about them** or not wanting them to have equal rights or not be discriminated. **But that's** **still homophobia.** Just apathy alone is enough for it to be homophobia? You're really devaluing the term there, mate.


dr_analyst

> I'm not his brother or anything. But maybe he believes Allah will fuck him up if he wears the shirt? And, as pointed out before, not when advertising for alcohol or gambling? Allah wasn't looking then? > Just apathy alone is enough for it to be homophobia? If you do not speak out against discrimination you're helping the oppressor, even if you're not a direct oppressor yourself.


fungibletokens

>And, as pointed out before, not when advertising for alcohol or gambling? Allah wasn't looking then? Who can really say what Allah is cool with. Even more nebulously, who can say what Gueye *thinks* Allah is cool with. >If you do not speak out against discrimination you're helping the oppressor, even if you're not a direct oppressor yourself. That's bullshit, if you do not speak out against something, nor for it, then you're a neutral non-contributor. I'm a pretty hard-left socialist, and even I think it'd be mental to say that all non-socialists are helping capital oppress the working class. But even if I accept your logic, by that logic we should be speaking out about each and every issue in the world where there is a distinct antagonist, otherwise we're just adding to the harm. Are you sure you are up to these exacting standards? Or does this rule conveniently apply only to the issues which you care about?


JakeNutters

Refusing to take part in a game for the second year in a row because he didn't want to be seen to be supporting International day against homophobia, transphobia and biphobia is voicing his views and that's why he's getting criticised for it.


Calergero

You're the kind of Gueye that would say why do you need privacy of you have nothing to hide. How do you know he doesn't wear it "because he didn't want to be seen to be supporting international day against homophobia"?


JakeNutters

Every single newspaper is reporting the same thing "Paris St-Germain's Idrissa Gueye refused to play in a match to avoid wearing a rainbow symbol in support of LGBTQ+ rights" The rainbow colours was in support of International day against homophobia, transphobia and biphobia.


Calergero

And every newspaper in Russia says Russia isn't killing Ukrainian citizens. France isn't exactly known for being very nice to Muslims if you don't know. Not that I'm saying it's a conspiracy theory at all just providing context. First of all I don't see any quote from Gueye and secondly even if this is true it's his prerogative. He can support or not support what he wants seen as he lives in the free west no? I wasn't aware that LGBTQ+ support was mandatory. Did you wear rainbow colours that day? I didn't see anyone.


JakeNutters

> He can support or not support what he wants 100% agreed and no one is arguing he can't. But taking a stance also means opening your self to criticism. I and many others are criticising his decision to refusing to play and saying he's homophobic. I haven't called for him to be punished and I haven't abused him all i've done is says he's homophobic and explained my reasoning. > I wasn't aware LGBT support was mandatory It's not but similarly not supporting a day against discrimination for those people is gunna get you labelled a homophobe. > Did you wear rainbows colours that day? Yes, i have a pride pin i wear.


Calergero

Totally agree with your first point about opening himself up to criticism. The natural assumption is to think he's homophobic and maybe in hesitant to jump to labels because I don't have any skin in the game or because I haven't heard his reasoning and maybe we never will. Good on you for your pride pin I have some pride memorabilia around the house but was totally unaware it was being celebrated. The reason I'm pushing back on this is because I think there is a lot of hollow name calling going around and I don't think that many people REALLY care. I highly doubt many people could name the player that came out the other day. Maybe I'm being cynical but I just think people should mind their own business.


WoW_Christopher

This isn't an absence of support though, this is actively choosing not to support it, there's a big difference. He has offered no other explanaiton for why he is taking this action and has revealed himself to as a homophobe, for which he is rightfully being condemned.


Flexspot

Actively choosing not to support LGTB people? Or actively choosing not to do something that was imposed on him by the club/league? And then again you speak as if people had to explain their motivations behind every decision they might take, and inferring things out of thin air. And as if their explanation wasn't satisfactory to you it means he's a despicable person. You're basically forcing muslims into picking a side. And many simply don't want to take sides in the issue, because it's not their business. And that's the first step into normalizing things. Maybe the children of these neutrals see it as a natural thing. This is not normalizing the issue. It's polarizing it.


icemankiller8

But the thing is all the other Muslim players in the league wore it and moved on with their lives so what’s your point here? It clearly is your business if you’re refusing to work because of it. The idea that because he was forced to wear it that means it’s ok to not go is stupid somethings in life are forced, you can’t go to your work naked does that mean if you refuse to follow that it’s actually good because you’re refusing to follow the rules they enforce on you?


WoW_Christopher

It's incredible how far people will go to defend homophobic behaviour. Yes, I think his actions are despicable and if he gave a shite explanation I would still think he is despicable. Of course Muslims have a right to their beliefs, but if their beliefs are homophobic then then should be criticised. You keep arguing that people are staying neutral. Staying neutral would be abiding by the status quo and just wearing the shirt, even if you don't agree with it. By refusing to wear the shirt gueye is actively taking a stand against the message it sends. Yes, it is polarising the issue, but that's far better than sitting back and pretending that we should respect homophobes because they have a slightly different view. That's disgusting


[deleted]

[удалено]


[deleted]

[удалено]


[deleted]

[удалено]


[deleted]

[удалено]


[deleted]

[удалено]


allthejokesareblue

If he can take their money he can wear the shirt. Simple as.


LloydDoyley

I guess he can eat the owner's shit too then


SaltineFiend

Yeah that's called having a job bro


vinctthemince

So you would be OK if a racist refuses to support the anti racist campaign against racism? By the way, you are quite a racist, since you claim every Muslim is homophobic.


Yazzia

Maybe not every Muslim, [but](https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2013/04/30/the-worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-morality/) the vast majority do view it as immoral.


fungibletokens

Why should he have to explain himself? And why does the absence of an explanation mean that you get to fill in the gaps as you see fit and treat your conjecture as fact? Would I explain myself if someone came up to me on armistice day and asked why I wasn't wearing a poppy, and by extension why I hated Britain, and the war dead? No, I'd tell him to get to fuck. By your reasoning I am compelled to explain myself to all and sundry my precise reasons for actively choosing not to wear a poppy - or else be condemned as a terrorist-loving, anti-Britain traitor. This is the logic of zealots.


WoW_Christopher

Comparing homophobia to not wearing a poppy, wow...


fungibletokens

I'm comparing not wearing a rainbow shirt to not wearing a poppy. And in so doing comparing you concluding that the former indicates homophobia, with others who determine that the latter indicates terrorist sympathies/anti-British feelings/dishonouring of the war dead and military personnel. Here, I'll set this out clearly for you: *Act*: not wearing a rainbow shirt *Inference*: homophobia *Act*: not wearing a poppy *Inference*: hatred of Britain/the military/democracy The whole point of the comparison is to illustrate how one thing is actually identical in mechanics to the other thing. That you find one thing (the unproven conjecture of Gueye's motivation) moral, whilst - hopefully - finding the other (unproven conjecture of the motivation of those who do not wear poppies) immoral is exactly the disconnect the comparison was made to illustrate, and the entire purpose of the comparison. So cool it with the outrage of "*this guy just compared a thing I like with a thing I* ***don't*** *like!!!".*


SaltineFiend

So here's the thing. If I handed you a poppy and said it's in solidarity and remembrance, and you refused, I would call you a cunt and question your values.


fungibletokens

You're a cunt. You don't know what that symbol means to me. Why would you be the authority on how I should perceive political symbols? Do you think James McClean and Nemanja Matic's are cunts for not wearing poppies?


uTubas

This is reddit, don't expect common sense. They love their pitchforks


Calergero

It's literally a nazi mentality of wear the shirt or your dead to me lol Remember that most people just like other people to think they care. They don't give a fuck which is why everyone has forgotten the name of the lad that actually came out the other day.


TheBlueNomad

Cancel Culture is extremely powerful these days.


AshkenaziTwink

fym cancel culture? he’s still a professional footballer and will get out of this with a meaningless pr statement


cooldude123567

So not wearing a rainbow shirt is considered explicitly against support towards homosexuals these days?


jm9987690

The shirt it's supporting homosexuals though, it's opposing homophobia, which sounds similar but it's not. They're not asking him to wear a shirt that promotes something but one that says these people shouldn't face discrimination


damola44

There it is. Mr cancel culture cancelling everything and everyone that does not agree with his ideals


Blodyck

Where did he said something about canceling?


damola44

When he said if Idrissa didn’t want to be called a homophobe, he shouldn’t be against support against gay people. Not sure where he explicitly was against supporting gay people though. All he did was decide not to put a shirt on.


Blodyck

I asked you specifically where he asked to cancel Gueye.


damola44

So you can’t see how him implying that it’s okay to call gueye a homophobe can lead to gueye getting cancelled which is literally what’s happening right now.???


Blodyck

I can see how accusing him of being homophobic isn't the right way, when, to my knowledge, he never did or said something in this direction. I can also see, saying because of religion is a bullshit explanation.


Jamie_251

I don’t see any problem with calling a homophobe a homophobe


ollster3000

Jesus.. Its astonishing to me how many homophobes there are out there. Low lifes tbh


epicmarc

Just have to look around this sub to see it


TigerBasket

Shit I've gotten it from r/cfb, I've gotten dm's from here about eating my own foreskin since I'm Jewish which confuses me, this sub for better or worse is filled with a lot of insane people.


Vxnxmm

Just look at joshua cavallo. The guy did something really brave and got hated for it. Im not going to pretend like I have never said anything homophobic but I feel like the world of football should be a bit more open minded


TheEmperorsWrath

Fuck them too then 🤷‍♀️


bourom

The CUP really lost it this season. They want to show the world they can be just as embarrassing as the squad.


kplo

Awful set of fans.


pharmaninja

Unpopular opinion but I don't think Gueye has done anything wrong. His religious beliefs means he doesn't agree worry homosexuality so he doesn't want to promote it. He's not said anything homophobic at all and has kept his opinion of the subject to himself. The story has come from other sources which is unfair to him.


183672467

I have a question, if its ok for Gueye to do, would it be ok for everyone in the squad to do?


pharmaninja

That's a good question and it's not something I've given thought to so apologies if I ramble on in my answer. PSG only did this because it commercially benefits them. Otherwise Qatar, who own PSG, well homosexuality is illegal in that country so the clubs owners don't care about gay rights. That's a more important debate than that of the belief of one individual but let's not get sidetracked. If all the players did this, I'd support their right to choose. I don't think the sponsors of the club would be too happy with it so that would be something for the club to deal with. I understand that certain sections of the community are persecuted and I am all for raising awareness about these issues. Same way I support players highlighting the BLM cause. There are people who are against these causes and I think people are entitled to think what they want to. For me the line is when they try to force these views on others. Gueye didn't try to force his views on anyone. He kept his beliefs to himself and didn't promote any sort of bigotry or incite any hatred. He was respectful with the way he disagreed with the issue. If the whole squad wanted to disagree with this in this manner then that would be ok to me. You have to bear in mind that this only happened because the majority of the squad wanted to do this in the first place. So if the whole squad wanted to do this, we wouldn't be in this position. The attention others have bought to this to try to shame Gueye has now given a platform to the bigots. This platform was not of Gueye's making.


183672467

If you allow a whole team to have that stance, you would also leave it open for the whole league to do so, which would certainly would have a big negative effect on how same sex relationships are seen So if you say you allow Gueye to act that way, you automatically allow everyone else to do the same, which would result in the already mentioned scenario


pharmaninja

I'm pretty sure the decision was already given to the whole league and the league have come together collectively to do this. Something like this wouldn't have happened without the league being consulted and agreeing to. You have to bear in mind even ten years ago football would never have participated in an event which stands for for gay rights. So things have changed a lot. You can't expect everyone to change at the same time however. Baby steps and education is the way forward. Not vilification and isolation.


183672467

People wont change their mind if you go nice about it


pharmaninja

Gandhi and Martin Luther King would disagree.


183672467

Martin Luther King was talking about no violence and I didnt say anything about violence You cant get through people if you're nice and passive about jt


fungibletokens

>But of all the great statements made about Abraham Lincoln, the words of Stanton remain among the greatest. Standing near the dead body of the man he once hated, Stanton referred to him as one of the greatest men that ever lived and said 'he now belongs to the ages.' If Lincoln had hated Stanton both men would have gone to their graves as bitter enemies. But through the power of love Lincoln transformed an enemy into a friend. It was this same attitude that made it possible for Lincoln to speak a kind word about the South during the Civil War when feeling was most bitter. Asked by a shocked bystander how he could do this, Lincoln said, **'Madam, do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?'** This is the power of redemptive love. [A Tough Mind and a Tender Heart By Martin Luther King, Jr.](https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=KEDlDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT16&lpg=PT16&dq=It+was+this+same+attitude+that+made+it+possible+for+Lincoln+to+speak+a+kind+word+about+the+South+during+the+Civil+War+when+feeling+was+most+bitter.+As&source=bl&ots=mhjQJiDiGS&sig=ACfU3U0cGvWea_D0Z9EqR_pZx06vapicDA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi2yPznzuz3AhWQX8AKHS1IDLoQ6AF6BAgDEAM#v=onepage&q=It%20was%20this%20same%20attitude%20that%20made%20it%20possible%20for%20Lincoln%20to%20speak%20a%20kind%20word%20about%20the%20South%20during%20the%20Civil%20War%20when%20feeling%20was%20most%20bitter.%20Asstanton&f=false) The other commenter is probably right - MLK would likely have disagreed with what you said.


radamo

If we’re quoting MLK “First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of goodwill is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection."


Humungbeantastic

In Australia we have the indigenous round where teams all wear shirts designed by indigenous artists. Can I choose to abstain from the round and not wear that shirt?


pharmaninja

Of course you can abstain. Freedom of choice. If you're doing it because you're forced to do it then the action becomes meaningless.


papyjako89

Oh if he is a homophobe because of his religious beliefs, no biggy then !!!


Superpiri

Going out of one’s way to avoid saying that gay people should be treated as human beings is absolutely homophobic. I’m sorry. Many religions promote homophobia but that does not make it ok.


vinctthemince

So you think it would be OK if some other player refuses to support the anti racism campaign of the UEFA if he has just some shitty believes?


pharmaninja

There are players who have publicly said they don't support anti racism campaigns. There are whole teams who have stood against the campaigns. Then there are players who don't believe in the campaign but haven't made a big deal out of it. I think Zaha has refused to support the BLM movement if I remember correctly. The latter isn't the same as the first two. Gueye was respectful in the way he has not expressed his support. I support his freedom of choice in this matter.


vinctthemince

You mean teams like Beitar Jerusalem? Maybe Gueye has also no problem with their racist and anti-Muslim fans.


pharmaninja

I literally said the way Gueye has gone about it is not the same that teams such as BJ has gone about it.


d_bo

He's using his religion as an excuse but Islam prohibits gambling and alcohol and he's happy to wear kits and play in a sport promoting both of those. Where's his religious outrage then?


pharmaninja

Fair point. Unfortunately I'm not in his mind so I can't explain to you what he thinks.


ParosMD

Can't exactly avoid wearing those sponsors for the entire season unless he wants to sit out can he? He can, and did easily avoid the LGBT branding.


vinctthemince

Why, if it so important for him? Or do he believe that he can bribe his God if he just earns enough?


ParosMD

Because he cannot avoid it without causing extreme financial harm to himself? That probably played a lot into his decision don't you think?


ookhaab

>extreme financial harm Right, because PSG is the only club on earth. xD


Goatbeerdog

Not a single religion is pro gay people? Islam, Christianity or Judaism that i know off?


simply_Ewing

A translation would be nice


Ric00la

Done (by google, I m not good enough)


Mo_s11

This is blown out of proportion nor is it so black and white. Just because he doesn’t support a cause does not automatically make him a homophobic. I would always treat someone with respect irrespective of race or sexuality or anything that makes them different. That doesn’t necessarily mean I support it but I would never disrespect or say something horrible about someone. I don’t think that makes me homophobic nor should people automatically assume these things about him.


Reiss20

“I’m not racist I just don’t support brown people” does that at least show how stupid the whole not supporting shit is


radamo

Wish it wasn’t so hard to understand for some people


Superpiri

Going out of one’s way to avoid saying that a group of people should be treated like human beings sounds pretty discriminatory.


thefaintless

I don’t support people being gamers but I also don’t give a fuck if they are and I don’t think less of them for being so. But the most simple take always wins in the court of public opinion, it is the law of averages at work.


Donotblowmekisses

Anytime I see the word ultras I immediately replace it with the word jackasse


TUNISIANFOLK

I am willing to bet youre one of "fans" that go to stadiums to eat popcorn, watch the match silently, take some selfies, bitch about people standing and not sitting and leave 10 minutes early to avoid traffic.


vinctthemince

Still better that a bunch of homophobic assholes.


papyjako89

By opposition to what ? Treating the game as a fucking religion worth dying for ? I'll pick the former tyvm.


Salted-Earth189

When the only ones backing you are ultras you know you've taken a wrong turn somewhere.


OldExperience8252

His whole nation including their president are backing him though.


ElMoustachi

When you take a look at the state of homophobia in Senegal, it's not surprising to say the least.


LETUSTOWATCHSOMETO

PSG is owned by the least homosphobic country right?


ElMoustachi

How's that relevant lmao. Qatar didn't back Gueye, just happen to own the club wich asked him to play with the shirt


icemankiller8

He’s getting a lot of backing tbh


Salted-Earth189

I know in Senegal people are backing him but was under the impression that in France only the ultras were.


icemankiller8

A lot of French people are homophobic like other places


Zainsh98

Anyone that doesn’t like Idrissa’s point of view can take a walk, its his opinion and there’s nothing about it that makes it seem backwards


Andy-Is-Hot

Good, we really needed a sensible opinion on this. Thankfully the ever rational PSG ultras have spoken out…


Fit-Cryptographer538

Paris ultras have always been a bunch of turds, so no change in that here. Fuck off!


jcald60

Scum players, scum owner, scum president, scum club, scum fans. Whole club is rotten and there’s a reason why most despise them


Universewanderluster

Yes let’s generalize like an expert and make a thousands fans represent the millions of psg fans around the world. You’re the perfect clickbait victim for news nowadays it seems. Our players are so much scum that your club is willing to sell its mothers to bring one of ours to Madrid ✌️


vinctthemince

The owner are some religious nutjobs, whose other side projects are for example supporting the Taliban and other religious extremist all over the world. The club is a bunch of mercenaries. And the fans are bunch of bandwagon supporters who support everything as the club buys some more titles.


algerianoncrack

As they should 🫱🏼‍🫲🏿😂


____ZeeZee____

He chose to not wear a piece of clothing that was enforced on him......in a country that forces underage girls to remove a piece of clothing they choose to wear.


wutend159

> in a country that forces underage girls to remove a piece of clothing they choose to wear You should pursue a career in journalism. A headline like this is surely gonna make the front page of The Sun.


cooldude123567

What he said isn't entirely inaccurate.


wutend159

no it's certainly not. but it was on purpose deceivingly selective. An adult male isn't exempt from that law


TUNISIANFOLK

Since when do males wear hijab?


tnarref

Kippas are a thing.


sdogbot

I'm not sure it's good enough for even that trollish low standard.


wutend159

lol


mapleleafMeltdown

His job requires wearing an outfit that he cannot choose but the employer chooses. What he did is no different than working at McDonald's and refusing to wear their uniforms. Except he is paid millions so he isn't just fired on the spot like a McDonald's employee would be, but catered to, babied and allowed to be a petulant little bigot.


confusedUKguy

If I'm being picky, he's required to wear the PSG shirt. I'd be interested to know if it's in players contracts to wear them. I remember the flack James McLean got for not wearing a poppy.


tnarref

And he refused to wear the PSG shirt on matchday 37. I doubt he has a clause in his contract giving him a veto on the shirt design.


____ZeeZee____

Nemanja Matic didn't wear the poppy claiming "personal reasons". If this is your justification, did you have an outcry for that too?


AshkenaziTwink

yeah there was no backlash over someone not wearing a poppy, not like some Irish bloke was lambasted in the media for exactly that


icemankiller8

James McClean gets massive backlash did not wearing the poppy for personal reasons, Matic doesn’t wear it because of the war which he thinks Britain paid a part in that destroyed his country, Gueye doesn’t want to wear it because he dislikes gay people. Where’s the similarly here? Also it’s hit like he’s suffering massively from this he is getting support from lots of people and he’s not lost his job or anything all that’s happened is people don’t like him. Surely that’s fair based off his personal views and decisions?


allthejokesareblue

He chose not to do his job, is what he chose.


cooldude123567

His job, lmao. He's a footballer, he's still earning his wages.


allthejokesareblue

Now draw the rest of the owl. What do footballers wear on their torso when they play the game?


ElMoustachi

Yeah let's say that the hijab is absolutly not a religious apparatus inforced by a sexist and retrograd vision of women, that it's absolutly their own choice and that peer pressure and fear are absolutly not part of the reasons.


LETUSTOWATCHSOMETO

Yes. Why women have choice?! I know better 😤


ElMoustachi

Imagine thinking that hijab is some kind of women empowerment, the state of your thoughts lmao


Fancy-Past-6831

Ok, my knowledge is limited on such sensitive topic but can someone explain, is there (and had always been) a problem of Homophobia in Football? I understand the problem of Racism as I have witnessed it live on TV multiple times. But what about Homophobia? Why footballers are afraid to come out? Is it because they will be frowned upon in dressing room? Even in top 4-5 leagues which are 1st world developed countries?


TheEmperorsWrath

Oh yes. Look up the story of Justin Fashanu. His own manager, Brian Clough, harassed him with homophobia and called him slurs and he’s still treated as a legend in English football


MotoFootball

It’s a huge problem. What I always found hilarious were all my asshole teammates cheating on their wives, getting fucking smashed at a club, doing drugs, but a gay friend? That’s where they draw the line and become devout followers of their religion. It’s literally just hatred.


LeCowboySolitaire

CUP is a joke.


Mallaguetta_SP

I may be totally wrong, but aren't some Ultras totally against LGBTQI+? I see some ULTRAS carry quite offensive flags, not that it's the case with the PSG ULTRAS, but...